Face oils are not merely a recent beauty trend, they are a beauty secret passed down for millennia since ancient times of Egypt, Greece and China. In the last decade, facial oils have risen in popularity among beauty experts, which we are thrilled about! However, there remains a few misconceptions and confusion about face oils that our Akar team are here to enlighten. In this guide, we will introduce the science behind face oils, their benefits and how to incorporate them into your skincare ritual for maximum results.
What do face oils do?
Oil production is a natural part of our skin. While most people are familiar with sebum, the oily or waxy substance that causes the skin to look visibly oily, most people aren't aware of the other lipids. Natural fats and oils are produced in the sebaceous glands that bind our skin cells together in order to form a protective barrier that keeps water from escaping and prevents the environment from stripping out essential hydration. Natural oils play a vital role in keeping our skin healthy, hydrated and supple.
Now you might wonder, what do face oils have to do with this? It's simple: applying face oils directly on your face supports your natural lipid production and fills any moisture gaps in your skin barrier. This in turn leads to greater hydration and moisture retention. Beyond that, face oils provide many additional proven benefits including anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, smoothing fine lines and a radiant, even skin tone. With just a few drops, a face oil locks in hydration and fatty acids essential for its regeneration, as well as strengthening and shielding your skin barrier from external aggressors.
What face oil is right for you?
Keep in mind that face oils are not a one solution fits all! To witness their full benefits on your complexion, you must
- choose a face oil formulated for your skin type
- opt for non-comedogenic oils, meaning plant oils that do not clog pores. This is especially important for acne-prone and oily skin types.
- Avoid formulations with high concentrations of essential oils and fragrances that can cause toxicity and trigger irritations.
How to pick the perfect face oil for your skin type
Face oils can be a great option for normal skin. They can provide intense hydration and nourishment to the skin, making it look radiant and feel more supple. Choose a facial oil which is lightweight and easily absorbed by the skin, making it a great option for all skin types.
Dry & mature skin
Look for heavier facial oils to supplement the lack of natural oils in your skin. For dry and mature skin, it's important to choose face oils that are deeply moisturizing, nourishing but without irritation. In consideration of the texture and absorption of the oil, choose the ones that are rich in antioxidants to protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals, which can also cause the sign of aging. Look for oils that are high in vitamins A, C, and E, as well as other antioxidants. Good options include goji berry oil, sea buckthorn oil, and evening primrose seed oil.
Oily and combination skin
Maintaining hydration is a key factor in controlling sebum production. Face oils can effectively nourish the skin and lock in hydration while helping reduce sebum production long term. The best oils for you will include antibacterial oils such as …, anti-inflammatory oils like… as well as sebum balancing superfoods such as x. In addition to those, our Clarify face Oil also includes brightening x to help face pigmentation and smooth texture.
At Akar we love crafting luxurious, multi-purpose oil blends that skillfully target severalskin needs at once without triggering any sensitivity, even on the most sensitive skin. What makes our face oils so effective yet gentle is their nutrient-rich profiles. We focus on selecting the highest quality, superfood-rich oils that perfectly complement each other and replenish all the nutrients, vitamins and fatty acids your skin needs to thrive.
How to incorporate face oils into your routine?
Face oils are far easier to use than you think they make for a versatile year-round staple that keeps your skin healthy no matter what life throws at it!
There are many ways you can add a face oil into your skincare routine
- Use your face oil as a serum before moisturizer for greater efficacy of active ingredients
- If your skin is parched and your skin barrier needs extra TLC, apply a face oil after your moisturizer to seal hydration, ensure lasting moisture and further protect your skin barrier.
- Facial oils can be used as a massage oil for an at-home facial depending on your needs. Apply directly after toner to boost hydration and soothe in 1 step. This is perfect for a minimalist home spa routine!
Basically, there is no wrong way to do this! Try one method, pay attention to how your skin responds and stick with what it likes!
Expert tips from the Akar team
- Try spraying our Balance Toner before using your face oil. Applying your face oil on damp skin allows for better absorption as the oil can sink deeper and hydrate better because the oil will trap in water that's in the skin.
- When your skin is extremely dry/dehydrated, but you want to cut down your skincare routine, simply add a few drops of a face oil into your moisturizer and massage it all over! This will boost hydration and moisture like no other while also save you time!
All these tips will give you exquisitely balanced and supple skin, even during the driest months!
Face oils are the multi-tasking queens your skincare ritual needs for a goddessglow! They are powerhouse products that should have a permanent place in your skincare routine.